Fishing rules Lakselva
Fishing rules Lakselva
Fishing regulations for Lakselva in Porsanger
The regulations apply for the entire anadromous stretch of the Lakselva River, including subsidiary streams and lakes as far as anadromous species occur.
- By anadromous species is meant salmon, sea trout and sea char.
- By salmon is meant all salmon which can not be identified as escaped farmed salmon or pacific salmon (rainbow trout, pink salmon and others) by external characteristics.
- By kelts is meant salmon, sea trout and sea char which have spawned the previous fall and spent the winter in the river.
1. Demand for a license
Everybody fishing the open stretches of Lakselv land owners association are demanded to show a valid fishing license for the period they are fishing. The fishing license is personal and can not be used by or transferred to others. Valid identification (e.g. passport or drivers license) must be shown when buying a license, brought along during fishing and shown to river supervision or other control authority together with fishing license, national license and a proof of disinfection.
The fishing license is not valid unless you can show valid identification, a national license and a proof of disinfection along with the fishing license. National license and disinfection also applies for fishing private beats of the river.
2. Requirement for disinfection of fishing equipment
Your fishing licence is not valid unless you have a proof of disinfection of the following:
- Fishing equipment, waders and other apparel which has been used outside the borders of Finnmark.
- All boats being used on the Lakselva river must go through a separate disinfection. All boats, canoes and the likes of theses must show a valid proof of disinfection to the river supervision.
Disinfection of equipment applies to the entire river stretch, and according to the rules above.
Quotas are personal and can not be transferred to others.
- Each fisherman is only permitted to keep a total of – 4 – four wild salmon longer than 80 centimeters per season.
- Of these, only – 2 – two are allowed to be female.
- Each fisherman is only permitted to keep – 2 – two salmon (regardless of size) per day.
- Each fisherman can only keep – 5 – five sea trout per day.
Released fish does not count as part of the quota.
4. Fishing period
The fishing period for the watercourse with the limitations given with regard to protection zones and equipment use is the following:
- Fishing period – salmon 1st of June 12:00 am to 31st of August 12:00 pm.
- Fishing period – sea trout 1st of June 12:00 am to 15th of September 12:00 pm.
- Fishing period – sea char 1st of July 12:00 am to 31st of July 12:00 pm.
In the period 1st of September – 15th of September all salmon must be released.
5. Protection zones in the watercourse
From Skoganvarre bridge and upstream (including tributaries Sangojohka and Luostejohka): Preserved for salmon fishing in the month of August.
Zone 4 (Goutko): Salmon larger than 80 centimeters preserved in the month of August.
Voullajohka: Preserved for salmon fishing in the month of August.
When fishing for other species than salmon in protection zones, the same equipment restrictions as for «Dry fly licenses» applies (see point 7).
The sea trout zone is restricted to the sea zone, zone 1, zone 2 and zone 3.
6. The owner of the license is obligated to give regular catch report regardless of outcome
All license holders are obligated to report their catches continously.
7. Use of equipment
For equipment, it’s only permitted to use one of the following: fly, worm, spoon, spinner and wobbler. You are only allowed to use one treble hook or tre individual hooks on the lure. You may use a sinker up until the 15th of July.
In the month of August: Maximum lure size is 18 grams
In zone 5, with exception of protection zones, flies, worms (without sinker), spoons, spinners and wobblers are allowed troughout the entire season.
For dry-fly licenses, the following equipment limitations applies:
- One can only fish with a fly.
- The leader may have a miximum breaking strength of 0,25.
- It is not allowed to use a tube fly.
- The maximum hook size is 10.
- It is not allowed to use weighted flies.
- One can only fish with a floating line. Sink tips are not allowed.
The same equipment limitations also apply for the sea-trout zone in September, except the point with rod limitations.
8. Minimum size, kelt and release
It is only permitted to kill salmon measuring at least 35 centimeters and sea trout measuring atleast 30 centimeters. Smaller fish and kelt are to be treated gently and immideately released back into the water course. The fish’s length is measured from the cleft in the tail fin to its snout. Released fish must also be reported. Fish which is damaged, and therefore not recommended to release (but which according to the rules should be released), must be reported to the supervision immideately or call +47 941 78 428.
Kelts are not to be reported.
Violating the public rules are regarded a felony. Violating the fishing rules may lead to a fee, expulsion from the river and reporting to the police. When charged with a fee, one can not start fishing again until the fee is paid and you will not be allowed fishing again until next season.
The fees are as follows (NOK):
A lack of disinfection: 3 000,-
Breaking quotas/minimum size: 3 000,-
Fishing without a valid license: 5 000,-
Breaching equipment rules: 2 000,-